Saturday, June 8, 2013

{magnet}ic

I saw this idea in a blog somewhere, and I loved the idea. I can't remember where it was, so I'm sorry for not giving credit where it is due. I don't even remember if it was a tutorial or just a suggestion. Either way, I felt inspired to make framed fridge magnets. 

The cuties in these pics are my little nieceys, Maren (3) and Daphne (1). 

I liked the idea of a fancier fridge magnet, and to give the refrigerator a gallery feel instead of eclectic magnets holding up a printed 4x6. 

I headed to the Walmart and found everything I needed for super cheap. 

You will need:
-small frames
-magnet strips
-paint
-paintbrush/sponge 
-hot glue & gun

I got the paint for 50 cents, the frames for 95 cents, the magnetic strips (18 strips) for 95 cents, and the sponges for $1. I had the glue gun. 


I got frames in various sizes to add a little interest to my "gallery". I also used a couple of colors that went well with my kitchen. 

You want to first remove the glass and backing from the frame. 

Paint the frames to your liking. If you aren't painting, you can skip to the next step. When painting make sure to not let the paint drip into the inside. Allow to dry for about 1-2 hours depending on the paint type. 

Turn the frame over to prepare the frames for the magnetic strips. 

Hot glue the magnetic strips onto the frame and cut if necessary. My strips were adhesive, but I wasn't confident that it would hold the weight of the frame.  Allow the glue to dry. 

Put the glass and photos into the frame, as well as the backing. If the frame was a tabletop frame, make sure to rip off the stand before sticking to the fridge. 












No comments:

Post a Comment