Saturday, June 8, 2013

{mantel}piece


it's Saturday night, and what am I doing on this wonderful evening?! Nothing

My husband is out celebrating the {soon to be} birth of one of his friend's babies at a diaper party. This is a party where the men bring diapers and the {soon to be} dad provides the beer and food. So while he celebrates, I've been home thinking of things to fill my night. 

I woke up today knowing that I wanted to do some serious decorating. We have a giant mantel and to be honest, it's very intimidating to decorate. 
This picture is from over a month ago, but as you can see its very long. 

I've been struggling all week to figure out what I wanted to do. I searched Pinterest and other blogs for inspiration, but nothing seemed to fit what I was looking for. I struggle with letting go of my OCD that wants everything to be symmetrical and even. I've also been having a hard time finding pieces that match the colors in the room. I recently purchased a great rug that I love, but it's a unique blue that doesn't seem to be all over the place. 
Our couch is grey, and we have tan walls. My OCD tells me that brown and grey doesn't go together, but again, I must quiet that voice, and move forward. I have seen many examples of these together, and it looks beautiful. I also realized today that the grey and blue colors are the same colors I chose for our wedding. Subconsciously, I must really love this color combination. 

So this morning I ventured out to all of my favorite places (TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Homegoods, Pier 1) on try to find some pieces to adorn the mantle. I ended up picking up many things knowing that I would have to get it all up there and start working with it to figure out what I wanted. I had come home with 2 pieces of art, 3 gallery frames, 2 glass pieces, 4 picture frames, 2 candle sticks, and  blue & gray spheres. Ahhh! 

When Nick saw all of this stuff, I know he was scared. I know he was even more scared when I started putting all of this stuff on the mantle. I think for a moment he might have thought that I was going to use it all. I played with the setup. Took stuff down, added it, took it down again, moved things from one side to the other and back again. 

I finally game up with a combination that quieted my OCD, but wasn't matched perfectly. I added some wedding pictures to the gallery frames and other frames and my mission was complete! 

TA-DA!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment