Thursday, June 6, 2013

{run}ning away

Since the wedding, my workout and eating habits have been terrible. Working out has become almost non-existent and my rating has been less than healthy. With all of the house stuff we have been eating out a lot and that is by helping the scale point in the right direction. I don't want to make excuses because I know a lot of people who are super busy and manage to eat well and workout. As we start to settle into the house, I have some energy to focus back to my health.

 I've been debating about what I would do to get back into it, and I've been interested in starting to run. I am not a runner, and frankly, I have never liked it. One would ask why I want to run then?! I think it's a challenge to see if I can do it. It seems that many people find it therapeutic. You can do it anywhere, and anytime. I can do it with my pup and get him some exercise too! 

Awhile back, I started looking into the training schedules for 5 & 10ks. I wanted to know how long it would take a novice runner to be able to run either one. I found a couple of training sites, but the one that caught my eye was Couch to 5k from coolrunning.com. This site seemed to have a very reasonable schedule for getting into running at a good pace. This site also has 10k, half and full
marathon plans. 

It has been a while since I looked into this, but today I decided to check out the site and their app. I have been doing some running/walking with my dog for the past two days, but i felt like i needed something more structured. What better way to learn to run than with the aid of my iPhone. I went into the apple store, and there was the app, Couch to 5K. $1.99?!? I'll pass, so I keep scrolling to find a free app. Zen Labs has a C25K app that is free and pretty cool.


I downloaded it and got ready for Day 1! This app is cool because it let's you know when to start running and walking even if you are listening to music. If you have music in your iTunes, you can play it right through the app. Everything you need is right there. 


Each segment counts down and up, so you are aware of where you are and how long until you are finished. 

The app also has the option of getting motivational emails and tips sent to you. 

I easily got through this run/walk without a problem. It was nice to have the alternation between running and walking so that I didn't feel overwhelmed. I was pleasantly surprised at this and I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's run! 







2 comments:

  1. Couch to 5k "fixed" me! Highly recommend sticking with it - it is the perfect starter plan to build your confidence (and the endurance that was probably there to begin with). I was a "hide behind the bleachers and let the fast kids lap me so I can skip a lap" runner in school, so this is all new to me - and now I can (sort of) keep up with Hillary, while she, you know, warms up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment, Stephanie :) so far so good with this app! I'm on week 3 and looking forward to building my endurance, one run at a time :) good to know there are others out there who can relate!

    ReplyDelete