Sunday, June 2, 2013

{bench}ing an old cushion


As I do projects, I need to remember to do all the appropriate before pictures to make sure I really give the full effect. So since there is nothing to show let's start with the finished product:
 ta-da!


The story behind this bench is that is had a blah colored cushion which had managed to get watermarks on it somehow. As a piece that is at the entry to our house, it's not the best impression of what else is inside. 

I got the idea to reupholster it, but hadn't given it much thought until yesterday. I was browsing through Walmart of all places, and was curious about their fabrics. I was instantly drawn to this cream and blue print. 


The print was subtle and pretty, and blue is a theme on our main floor. It was the perfect voice. Price tag: $0.84/yard!! 

I debated about how to accomplish this job since the cushion is all foam. I decided to get a piece of particle board to make sure I could a staple gun. This would give me the bet look so that I could ensure the fabric was tight against the cushion. 

I headed to Home Depot, our home away from home. Today's experience was less than helpful since no one wanted to help me or offer suggestions. I guess that's what I get for going during thebeginning of   the summer when everyone is trying to put in gardens and build decks. I almost left the store when I finally found the section I had been searching for. All the way in the back corner of the store were 2ft x4ft pieces of plywood and hardboard. For price sake, I chose the hardboard because I knew it would hold the staple just as we'll as the plywood that was $2 more. $5.50 and I was out of there. 
Now started the fun part. Here we go:
 This was the blah colored cushion. I first laid the fabric down and made sure the cushion was straight along the pattern. 
I placed the hardboard down on top of the cushion. I had cut this piece to be slightly smaller than my cushion so that I wouldn't see the edges when it was finished. 
 I ultimately don't want to see the hardboard when I'm finished so I stapled the fabric to the hardboard so that it mostly covered the cushion. However you want it to look, at least get the fabric stapled, in a straight line, to the hardboard. 
From here you want to cover the cushion like you are wrapping a gift. How I wrap is much different than how my husband wraps, so the next steps are open to interpretation. I made the fabric look like a paper airplane and staple the edge to the hardboard. I then cut off the excess so that my cushion lays flat on the bench.  
I repeated this on the other side. 

When I completed that step I was ready to "finish wrapping". I cut off about 6 inches of fabrics to that my fabric finished in the center of the cushion. I folded the insides at a 45 degree angle and started stapling to the hardboard. 

Make sure that the fabric is taut. It will make the finished product look more professional. Once complete you can flip over and make sure all looks good and finished. 

I was very pleased with how this turned out after only 30 minutes. A quick transformation! 


I even had some extra fabric left over and decided to attach it to a canvas for a quick piece of art! 



No comments:

Post a Comment